The mandate of NEPC is:
- To carry out all aspects of techno-economic study for the nuclear power programme.
- To ensure that the technical comparison of candidate NPP designs and associated technologies are objectively assessed against the conditions, constraints and the needs of the country, so that the most suitable design is selected
- To assess the possibility of installing a NPP on the national /sub-regional electrical grid network
The objectives of the Centre are:
- Assessment of the reliability and preparedness of Ghana’s existing electric grid (i.e. its current state) for a NPP and suggest recommendations for smooth operation of the NPP;
- Identify NPP designs and technologies that are commercially available and have the potential to meet the national criteria;
To perform comparative assessment on the economics of nuclear and other energy options in the country and provide analytically derived information to support Ghana’s Nuclear Energy Program decision-making.